Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry Christmas everyone!

Hello everyone. Apologies for the slow posting. It's Christmas and we've spent the last few days too drunk off of turkey and wine to do much other than drink and eat more while massaging our swollen stomaches. Lovely image we know. Luckily for everyone, we've finally emerged from the haze of gluttony that defines this holiday season and are able to write and talk somewhat more coherently. Enjoy the following:

It was a Saturday night at Aqua. I'm not a big fan but I had out of town guests and say what you of the snobby clientele and shady service (they've "accidentally" overcharged us everytime I've been) but it does have the best view of the Central skyline. That particular night, the lights were especially bright because the skyscrapers were decked out for the holiday season. I was hoping that the flashing bulbs would be enough of a distraction to allow me a quick getaway. No such luck.

"Wait..I'm one of the richest men in Hong Kong," exclaimed Mr. Subtle, puffing out his chest as he grabbed hold of my wrist. Annoyed but curious to see how he'd work his way out of his bluff, I sat back down. "Oh, really? I thought you said you worked in a textile company?" I asked, hiding my amused and incredulous look behind a slow sip of my lemon-grass martini.

"Well, you know, I was in finance and did really well with that, I mean, after all I am one of the richest men in Hong Kong now. But I decided to try something new. I called up a textile company and said I want to work for you and when they saw how much experience I had they rushed me straight to the top and made me their head guy," he said, beaming.

Mr. Subtle pulled out a card. Honey Textiles it read in neon green print against black on one side. I flipped it over. The other side had his name and mobile on it....filled out in blue ink.

Apparently "one of the richest men in Hong Kong" couldn't even afford a card with his name printed on it. Instead his card was a fill-in-the-blank, with the word NAME printed on followed by a space and the word PHONE followed by a space, onto which he had dutifully written-in his name and number with a ball point pen.

Wow, lying is hot. But being a bad liar is even hotter.

1 comment:

The Incredible Egg said...

Eh, China not as inspiring as before?